Who can be a Mentor?
Anyone with relevant expertise who can add value to a start-up/ entrepreneur by providing:
- Advice on startup related strategic and operational issues across areas like business model/plan, startup team, funding options, scaling up, handling issues among founding team etc.
- Access to contacts for sales, recruitment, tie-ups, PR
- Access to funds (debt or equity) through self or through contacts to angel networks, lending agencies, VCs etc.
- Access to infrastructure - Hard infrastructure (office space, IT requirements) & Soft infrastructure (legal services, accounts/payroll, IP, research)
Mentors might differ by:
- Objectives of mentoring
- Levels of time commitment (2/4/8 hours per month) to the mentees
- Types of resource commitments (advice/contacts/ funds/ infrastructure etc) to the mentoring process